Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Black Histori Project Makes XXL Best Mixtapes of 2014 List

via XXL

CyHi The Prynce, Black Hystori Project

GOOD Music’s CyHi The Prynce boasts that he’s “Nas with a ‘Pac flow” on Black Hystori Project. With BHP, CyHi delivers a lesson in Black history, shouting out some of his favorite figures with song titles such as “Huey,” “Mandela” and “Coretta.” Lush production and complex, name-drop-filled lyrics are at a premium here, as CyHi references famous writers, artists, actors, musicians, Civil Rights leaders, and more throughout. “I write my graffiti in Swahili/I don’t follow, I’m not Phoebe/Fuck diabetes, I’ma die chic/That’s the reason I’m dressed in this dashiki/Fly as Tuskegee, riding to my CD,” he spits over a fast-paced guitar and piano-laced beat by Grizzly on “Basquiat.”

CyHi’s story-telling ability cannot be overlooked, as he weaves socially conscious tales into nearly every record on BHP. Rap audiences knew that CyHi had this type of ability from hearing him on GOOD Music’s Cruel Summer compilation, but a full-length effort raises the bar even higher. The 18-track body of work should remain in rotation during the month of February for years to come. —ES

No comments: